KNOWLEDGE DROP: Police Brutality Hoodie
Brand Tunnel Vision
- Black people are 2.5-2.8x more likely than white people to die by violent force at the hands of law enforcement in the US.
- Black victims are more likely to be unarmed (15%) than White victims (6%) when killed by the police.
- Black people stopped by police are 21.3% more like than their White counterparts to be involved in an interaction with police where a weapon is drawn.
- Black people are 53% more likely to experience use of force by the police than White people in general.
- When officers report civilians have been compliant and no arrest was made, Black people are still 21.3% more likely to endure some type of force.
- 24% of Black people killed by the police were not attacking police at the time of their death, compared to 17% of White people killed by the police.
- 1 in 1,000 Black boys and men in the US will be killed by police in their lifetime.
(Yale University, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Justice, Rutgers University’s School of Criminal Justice, University of Nebraska at Omaha)